Early on the morning of Saturday, December 10, 2011, Mom called to tell Sally & me that Mimi had suddenly passed away during the night. She had come down with pneumonia the day before and died at the Scott & White Emergency Room. I am not even sure where to begin as far as all the memories in my life that Mimi is in...I was so blessed to have her as my grandmother. We had two of the most wonderful grandmothers that two girls could have ever dreamed of! I know she loved me and I loved her, too. It is so strange to think that she is gone from this Earth, but I am so happy for her that she is no longer suffering. What a party she is having in Heaven...dancing with Jesus.
"Meem", Me & Jenna on Thanksgiving Day
Mimi & me in May of 2010 after her bronze statue dedication
I am so thankful that she had the opportunity to meet and get to know Carter over the past 10 months. He always enjoyed being around her. He usually lit up when she was there. He liked to "talk" to her on the phone and would always smile when he saw her. In fact, we saw her for the last time just a few days before she passed away. We were in Temple for Kim's annual Cinnamon Roll Bake-Off and we dropped by The Meridian to take Mimi a cinnamon roll the next morning (December 6th) on our way to see Dad at the hospital after his 2nd knee replacement. I felt bad because we went pretty early - and anyone who knew Meem knew that she was NOT a morning person - but am I so glad that we went! All three of us were able to visit with her for a little while. She watched Carter play with her magazines on the floor and talk to her in person. In true Mimi fashion, she even agreed with me when I told her that I wasn't "all together" that day. We had thrown all of our stuff in the car, put on some workout clothes & headed out the door. My makeup was not the best and my hair was in a pony tail, but I had missed a little piece and it was hanging down on my neck. She had been hurrying around getting dressed & eating her breakfast before we got there, so she told us that she wasn't all together either :)
The Meridian's Halloween Party 2011
Mimi & Carter in August 2011 (6 months)
Mimi & Carter meeting for the first time (March 2011)
Such a proud moment!
We were able to have a private family burial on Monday, December 12th at Hillcrest Cemetery. However, due to both Melissa & Caroline being pregnant and almost ready to have their babies and Uncle Tom being scheduled for surgery the next day, the Hartley family could not make it to Texas until this past weekend. Therefore, we celebrated Mimi's life with a beautiful memorial service at Christ Episcopal Church among many of her family and friends from near & far on Saturday morning. Afterwards, we headed over to Mom & Dad's house for lunch with all of the out-of-town attendees. Everyone had a great time going over memories of Mimi & Biggie and looking through old pictures.
Mom & ZTA girlfriend Sharon Crowder
UT Zeta Tau Alphas - They called Mimi "The Old Bag"
Hook 'Em - Mimi would love this picture!
Sisters
Cindy Palla with Carter & me
Cousin Nicole & Carter
Jenna & Maggie
Dinner with the Hartleys at Schoepfs Barbecue in Belton
(Please note Carter throwing the container of puffs in the air!)
Jenna, Lee & Carter ready to head home for bedtime
Silly Cousins







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.